Project #1: This year, for the first time in 9 winters, we had winter damage. I'm either getting old or too stressed out or both. But, last summer, I eased the starboard stern line a little so the wee ones could get on and off the boat easier by themselves. Knowing the winds and tides are less extreme in summer, I wasn't too worried about it. Unfortunately, I forgot to tighten it up at seasons's end. The damage only took about 10 minutes to prep and epoxy, but when you come to the boat and see it for the first time it feels like you killed your boat.
Project #2: Fixing the head pump. During our trip to Deal Island last labor day, all of a sudden, the head started leaking and the valve to turn off the input water no longer worked. I had to stop the flow by closing the thru-hull. On taking it apart, it appeared the bloody thing had just fallen apart. The good news is, I was able to use a pop rivet and put it back together, again.
Project #3 Re-building the raw water pump on the engine. I should have done this last year already, but we had such a miserable winter last year and then all of a sudden it was spring and I wanted to go sailing. There was no transition to spring like this year, where we've got nice days to work on the boat, but not quite warm enough for a pleasant sail, yet. Anyway, the seals gave up on the raw water pump and having bought a re-build kit two summers ago already, it's time to put it in...
I'm sorry I didn't take better pictures. I fretted about how to do this for days without proper tools and when I finally Dug into it, I was finished in about 15 min. and forgot entirely about taking pics. Essentially, the pump is a brass casting with a stainless shaft going through it to a shaft sticking out of the engine. On the engine side, there are two stainless steel and rubber oil bushing/bearings. On the water side, there is a brass and rubber water bushing.
I started by pounding out the shaft, then using a screw driver, I popped out the water bushing from behind by reaching past the SS bushings and tapping on the back of the water bushing. I'm really glad I didn't try knocking them all out, because it turned out there was a ridge between the water and oil bushings I couldn't see.
For the oil bushings, I found a 1/2" drive socket that fit just inside the brass ridge. With a short extension inserted into the socket, I pounded on the extension with a rubber mallet and in about five taps, both bushings were out. To re-assemble, I reversed the process, except that I used the socket to insert the brass water bushing, too.
Project #4: New House Bank. I rebuilt the battery box before I remembered I intended to change battery makes. The old bank had been Eight Six volt batteries from Sam's Club. They lasted six years and would have lasted a couple more I think, if I hadn't toasted them running my desktop computer while on the hook... d'oh. But, because I haven't been cruising as much as I hoped, I intended to drop back to four six volt batteries, albeit hopefully a better quality battery. My intention was to go with Interstate because I have always had good luck with them.
So, after building the battery box to the same measurements, I then had to find an interstate battery with the same measurements as the Sam's Club Batteries. Luckily, the U2200 was an almost perfect match. The plan being, that the heartier Interstate batteries will last as long and take more abuse than the Sam's Club batteries, since there's only half as many.
In the process, I had to reinforce the construction of the quarter berth. At 90 lbs / each, the quarter berth had sagged a bit, especially since I have a nagging leak from that hatch above the quarter berth. So, the addition of a couple more crossbars and a couple of verticals to brace the cross bars and the quarter berth doesn't even sag when I stand on it. Hopefully, it will hold the 360 lbs of batteries just as well...