Home Copyright Visitor Log
Writebyte Logs Potpourri About Writebyte.net Hall Of Shame
Featured Bristol 40s WoodWorking Boat Projects Runabout

Bits And Pieces

2009.05.11

While waiting for paint to cure and more paint to arrive, I'm doing detail work in advance, getting ready for final assembly.

Polished up the Aluminum Bow Piece, the Nav Lights fixture, and other bits. Also, I created and assembled the rub rail pieces to fit the sides and hide the hull-deck joint. The boat came with a really gross rubber someone had purchased in anticipation of the re-build, but wood works much better for me... Especially after Seven coats of clear coat enamel.


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

I also made some wooden fillers for the deck steps. The rubber originals were in pretty tough shape. And, the ski mirror is looking much better thanks to my pneumatic die cutter, a buffing wheel and lots of polishing compound.


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

After aligning all the bits where they needed to be installed, I drilled or filled holes as appropriate, to do a final cleanup on the deck before the last two or three coats of paint.


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

The Rub Rails, with five coats of clear coat enamel.


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

2009.05.16

While waiting for the last of the paint to cure, I tackled cleaning the little fenders that help fend the sailboat off the finger pier when I am singlehanding. Also, the cooler liner had some serious mold issues...


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

2009.05.17

And it begins to look like a boat, with the rub rail going on and some hardware on the transom...


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

2009.05.20

All over the place now, things are finally coming together. Note the shiny new bronze cleats. The original build had a single really sweet "torpedoe" cleat on the foredeck. Being a hard core sailor, I couldn't cope with that. So, I added a 4" bronze cleat on each corner. In the process, I eliminated the chocks forward. I may still put the torpedoe cleat back on, as the corner cleats forward are not aligned properly for tying off an anchor rode.


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

2009.05.21

Seats are in, beautiful new bronze Bow eye is on, and many many thanks to my lovely wife for her Herculean effort to crawl forward and attach the bow plate. I physically could not get my chest between the deck and the shelf in order to get deep enough in to attach the bow plate.

All that is left is to mount the outboard and to go for a ride.


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

Jon came over and helped set that beast of an outboard back on the transom. Guess what next winter's project will be? Painting and detailing the outboard...


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic

But always, always, there is one last gotcha. In trying to mount the windshield, I discovered that it can not be thru-bolted because the front holes all go down into the support beams for the deck. Plus, the holes there, were way too large,even for #10 screws, which seemed obviously oversized for the brackets. So, a quick patch was required...


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic


Click Thumbnail to See Larger Pic





Unskilled and Unaware

Webmaster: Tim Fuhrmann of Cedarman Inc.
Providing enterprise wide IT solutions to a variety of industries since 1995.
Contact Cedarman to Build a Delphi-Powered web site for you
Tim's Email (remove spamblocker. from email address)
Writebyte
website hosting by PentacomSoftware
The following links are for SPAM Honeypots:
info@bowlsite.net
feedback@bowlsite.net
contact@bowlsite.net
webmaster@bowlsite.net
info@newhopecinemagrill.com webmaster@newhopecinemagrill.com
webmaster@mnantiqueshows.com
info@mnantiqueshows.com
info@sunraylanes.com
contact@sunraylanes.com
webmaster@sunraylanes.com
Joyful Noise Child Care, Salisbury, MD