Boat Noodles was the first dish invented aboard The Write Byte. I needed a dish to pass, the galley was almost empty, since it was the end of the cruise. I threw some things together and this is what I came up with.
Since then, there have been a few others and several condiments. But, Boat Noodles was first and so far the best, except perhaps the tartar sauce we came up with on the 2012 Deal Island Trip...
First of all, you have to know, I am not a bacon fan, unless it is Nueske's Bacon. So, whenever I do anything with Bacon, it is with Nueske's or not at all.
- 1 bag Extra Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 pound Nueske's Bacon
- 1 large Mild Onion
- 1 pkg Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 1 Can Jumbo Black Olives
- 1 tbls minced garlic
- 2 Cans Stewed Tomatoes
- Start the Noodle water to boil and put a fry pan on to heat up.
- Take a pound of thin sliced Bacon and cut it into 1/2" pieces across the slices.
- Break up the bacon as you drop it into a heated fry pan and start it frying.
- Stir occasionally to continue breaking up the slices as you do the following:
- Put a package of Extra Wide Egg Noodles and a splash of salt into the boiling noodle water.
- Dice an onion
- Sprinkle it liberally with Minced Garlic.
- Slice a can of jumbo black olives
- Slice a package of Baby Bella Mushrooms
- While you're doing all this prep, the bacon should be frying and the noodles boiling.
- The Bacon doesn't have to be crisp, in fact, I do not like it crisped, especially itty pieces like this
- Once the bacon appears to be well heated, add the onions, Mushrooms, minced garlic and sliced black olives to the bacon.
- Once the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have been sauteed, add 2 cans of Stewed Tomatoes.
- If you don't have minced garlic, Garlic and Oregano (Italian style) tomatoes will work as well.
- Stir and turn the heat down to simmer, the heat from the bacon and veggies alone will bring up the temp of the tomatoes.
- When the noodles are done, drain them and add the fry pan contents and stir together.
- Mix well and serve.
Enjoy: One of the cool things about this dish is that it is great warm or cold. Cold it tastes like pasta salad. Warm, it's just yummy. It also works with Rice, though it doesn't taste as good cold as the noodles do.
Note: I'm a big black olive fan, so I use 2 cans of Olives.
Warning: if you use bacon other than Nueske's, you will want to drain the bacon. Nueske's Bacon is very lean and is smoked without adding nitrates. Nueske's bacon juice enhances the flavor of the mushrooms. This is not true when using other brands of bacon. Use other bacons at risk of ruining a fine dish.