After a final trip down the Wicomico aboard the little runabout, it was time to look toward Winter Projects. And this winter, the primary winter project will be Version Four of the Dodger.
The last time I worked on the dodger was in 2005. On the whole, I was very pleased with it. Aside from the fact that I hadn't quite gotten the shape right and I had gotten very weary of the process and not finished it to a level I was proud of, it all worked very well. The dodger was stout and effective and fairly decent looking.
However, I had not quite gotten the lines I wanted. This was partially due to the fact that in trying to "save" the two loop grab handles, I had ended up squaring off the front corners more than I wanted to.
So, with some rot issues starting to become evident with the bottom support rail, I decided it was time to bring her home and go for Version #4. This time around, my primary goals are to get the lines I want, do a better job with the glasswork to avoid water penetration and to do a better job finishing.
To accomplish goal #1, I took a pattern of the dodger lip with postal paper and translated that into a wooden frame to assist in shaping the dodger's lower frame rails.
Goal #2 would be relatively easy, just do better resin coverage on all things wooden. In attempting to get a decent smooth roof, I had done a wonderful job on the roof of the last version. Lots of layers of glass and resin, there. With that, all I had to do was cut the new shape and build a new lip.
The bottom rails being where most of the water penetration issues were, I will simply do more layers of glass, filler and resin.
And finally, given the improvements in my tool set and skill level over the last four years, doing a better finish job should be a piece of cake. I am very much looking forward to the final product.