Bill, the previous owner had collected most of the items needed to finish the apartment above the garage. For 14 months, those items have been sitting upstairs awaiting my attention. When I finally dug into it last week, I discovered that the cabinetry is all chipboard based. Since this apartment which we hope to rent out at first, will eventually become office / guest space, I couldn't live with the chipboard. But, the faces and doors are all beautiful maple, stained walnut dark, clashing with the light pine of the rest of the space. So right now, my project is removing the dark stain and prepping to custom build cabinets of birch for the kitchen.
I've got all but the glass doors sanded down to plain wood. The birch plywood for the cabinets and counter top are waiting in the wings.
Now that summer's over and I'm back in my shop, I revel in the huge space I have to work. I'm very thankful to have such a wonderful space in which to putter.
The main lower cabinet is ready for assembly upstairs in the apartment. Today, it was on to the upper cabinets.
Next, it's on to the corner cabinet that will sit between the two units above. While that glue is drying, a little varnish work...
Finally got back to work. Finished constructing and varnished the upper corner cabinet
Coat #2. This may or may not be my last coat. We'll see what it's like when it cures. Probably have to do another just to smooth out the little hairs that pop up when using Birch. When I did the bathroom Corner Cabinet, it took 4 coats of varnish before it was smooth.
Wrapping up now, the drawer cabinet is built, waiting to be varnished.
Next up will be wrap up on refinishing the cabinet doors.