Mirari spent the summer of 2010 on the hard undergoing a massive rebuild and modification due to her age and some damage as well as modifications from what was learned from the 2009 Bermuda 1-2 return trip. This was Mirari's 2nd Bermuda 1-2 race. The 2009 return trip found many of her weaknesses included some rot in the forward bulkhead, some poor bulkhead tabbing done at the Bristol factory and 40 years worth of wear and modifications to her electrical system. Also oil in the bilge makes quite a mess when the interior gets flooded over the floor boards!
The 2009-2011 project list includes:
- Complete refurbishing of the interior including painting much of the interior white in the Herroshoff style.
- Addition of a proper bridge deck.
- Rebuild of the galley counter configuration as a result of the Bridge deck
- Engine removal and rebuild
- Paint and rebuild the engine compartment.
- Painting of all interior lockers
- New battery compartment.
- New Hot water heater
- Complete 100% new wiring along with new control panels
- Toe rails removed, varnished and rebedded.
- All exterior wood work removed and to be refinished this winter.
In addition to the projects above are many secondary projects that may or may not get done including a possible hard dodger. I'll try to get some photos next spring when she is hopefully all back together.
Mirari is a Full keel model built in 1969, hull #43.